Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2023
Sesame is the home for Americans who have been priced out of the traditional healthcare system. Whether they are uninsured or burdened by high-deductible insurance, the Sesame marketplace brings millions of Americans access to the healthcare they need at a fraction of the typical price.
Customers on our platform love that they can get high-quality care quickly and easily for a fair price. We’re working with healthcare providers who share our vision for giving people a better way to get the care they need — without the stress, frustrations, and financial challenges of the current healthcare system.
We have raised $75 million in capital from leading investors including GV, General Catalyst, and Industry Ventures, and we continue to invest in scaling our marketplace!
The Engineering Manager is accountable for engineering excellence within one or two cross-functional product teams. You guide your reports through their professional growth and focus on all aspects of team health. Partnering with Product Managers and technical experts, you will own your team’s product domain and make sure that we are building the right features for our customers.
While you are not necessarily a hands-on coder, your previous background as an engineer allows you to help ensure technical excellence. You are also a dedicated mentor to engineers inside and outside your team and a sparring partner for aspiring Engineering Managers.
- Partner with Product Managers to ensure delivery health, team/people health, and technical health for your cross-functional product engineering team
- Strengthen engineering management as a discipline and be a beacon for our cultural values across all of product engineering
- Build and maintain an engineering culture around accountability, ownership, continuous learning, respectful collaboration, empathy, and delivery excellence
- Advocate and advance modern software development and engineering practices
- Manage and mentor ICs and potential junior managers
- Develop people and teams through coaching, mentoring, and management support to build high-performing teams and individuals
- Contribute to the planning, prioritization, and alignment of projects in collaboration with Product leadership
- Foster technical decision-making on the team, providing proper context and making final decisions when necessary
- Attract, recruit, and retain the best team members to keep our engineering well functioning and healthy
- Be a subject matter expert in all things related to your team’s domain
What We Look For
- 2+ years of management experience
- 8+ years of overall software engineering experience
- Experience in a dynamic startup environment, balancing lots of ideas, tradeoffs, and product ideation
- You care about creating a great engineering culture with ownership and growth mindsets and a servant leadership focus
- Experience in mentoring and career development for ICs across different technical domains
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Able to drive cross-functional collaboration
- A track record of effective and well-balanced delivery
- Experience defining and evolving product engineering processes and practices
- Previous experience with scalable distributed systems development
- Experience in a distributed company environment
Working with us means you will have a chance to grow every day, together with our customers, our partners, and your peers. You can be yourself, speak freely, and be trusted and respected. We are an organization that values respectful candor and believes that product-defining ideas can come from anywhere.
We also offer:
- Competitive total compensation package with generous equity
- Generous, flexible vacation policy
- A fun, kind, and international work environment with teams in the US and Europe
- The opportunity to work independently, remotely, and family-friendly
- The chance to learn first-hand about the biggest industry in the world
- The chance to directly improve the lives of millions of people in need of healthcare
Sesame is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.